Diary of an Extreme Cowgirl

Every cowgirl has an Extreme Story. So What's Yours?

I am working on many updates. I apologize for being MIA.
I had a very tragic event, Feb 2009, and I seemed to shut down with writers block.

Follow along as I dust myself off after being paralyzed from a broken neck.
Are you an Extreme Cowgirl?
Soon you can add your story to http://www.extremecowgirls.com/

Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Sand Colic 101

Posted by Extreme_Cowgirl

Today I asked about if it was a good idea to treat horses for sand even if you think they don't need it.

They said yes. There are many things you can do.
The problem with sand is that it can just sit there, and clear slowly or not at all.
You can't tell without an xray, but to have a program where every once in a while to do sand clear can help.

Its not the beat all end all solution but it helps.
Mischief would eat and then poop, but the sand/dirt settled to the bottom and just sat there like a beach.

Some horses will start to get a taste for dirt and will eat it. but they think he is not one of those.

They did say that there is dirt and sand in hay, grass, pastures etc. Horses can get it everywhere and depending on the horse will determine if its a problem or not.
So much to learn... argh..

I just wanted to get the word out the sand colic can happen to any horse even when you don't think it can.
A hard lesson.

You don't know you have a problem horse until its almost too late. I got lucky. I will be treating my other horses with sand clear or pyllenium soon, just in case.

The main thing I learned is, Sand is dirt and dirt is sand.

0 comments: